Code compilation alternative to Function()

Gustavs Tēbergs fixplzsecrets at gmail.com
Sun Jan 12 13:01:44 PST 2014

On 12 January 2014 08:54, Brendan Eich <brendan at mozilla.com> wrote:
> Not on the (gzipped) wire:
> http://mozakai.blogspot.com/2011/11/code-size-when-compiling-to-javascript.html

I am not worried about the compressed size but the latency caused by
decompressing and parsing the contents.

Actually I am not worried at all - this is not my complaint but one
I've heard from others. I mentioned it as one example.

I don't plan to use Asm.js, but potential users might be unsettled by
how unoptimal the lexical representation is, even if it is only
"theoretically unoptimal".
I've heard that there are plans to include a special case parser
Asm.js in SpiderMonkey, is this true? I can see how for many onlookers
this is the point where they will ask: why don't you specify a
bytecode?
Which brings me to what I said in the original post: introduce the
capability to convert non-JS code fast, and onlookers' misgivings
about using JS syntax as a transport might go away. And we don't even
have to design a bytecode up front.