Need a champion? StringView strawman

Boris Zbarsky bzbarsky at MIT.EDU
Fri Jan 10 13:40:45 PST 2014

On 1/10/14 4:29 PM, Dwayne wrote:
> Exactly how StringView handles the option now. If I generate a random
> string using byte values then each char in that string should correspond
> to a single byte when specifying the ISO-8859-1.

OK, so specify ISO-8859-1, if that's what you're really doing.  Or are
you saying that you just want "ascii" to be a synonym for "iso-8859-1"
here?  But it'd be a lie, because ASCII actually means something, and it
means something different from ISO-8859-1.

But really, if you just have bytes, not text, why are you generating a
string from those byte values at all?  This is where a typed array would
make more sense...

-Boris