classes and enumerability

Andrea Giammarchi andrea.giammarchi at gmail.com
Wed Dec 24 16:21:06 PST 2014

I'm sorry Rick, that's a great analysis but this is also how I see it,
metaphorically speaking:

"most cars in the world use wheels 'cause we don't know better and that's
how it always worked"

To be more explicit, here things I would have exepceted anyway:

Find out that developers tried to make things work down to ES3 and IE <= 8
engines

Finding that developers didn't have native way to create classes before so
they used known ES3 patterns

Finding that old ES3 based class like architectures never bothered about
enumerablility since JSLint does not even accept for/in without a
hasOwnProperty check, these same libraries never bothered about getters and
setters inheritance too though (most of them)

Find out that Mr. D talked about enumerability as one of the bad part
people got used to but new comers will always smash their code against

Find out that someone actually bothered about this, in order to have
cleaner intent and expectations, without basing the code over ES3 and
understanding and using ES5 at its best ... these probably understand
getters and setters too, everyone else should be left out of the equation,
IMO

I'd also count how many `hasOwnProperty` checks are out there in the wild
because of all previous historical facts ... and re-read the analysis
since, as others said already, are we considering the way the past forced
to write things instead of considering the way developers would like things
to be?

Back to my first question: why would you ever want a method in a class be
enumerable?

Hope you got my point, thanks in any case for providing more data to think
about.

Cheers

P.S. this is mostly off topic but I find absolutely hilarious that Custom
Elements and document.resgisterElement accept a prototype property that
needs an object created through Object.create and a descriptor that for
lazyness will make ewverything non enumerable and actually even non
configurable and non writable ...

```js

var MyElement = document.registerElement(
  'my-element',
  {
    prototype: Object.create(
      HTMLElement.prototype, {
      myCallback: {value: function() {
      }

```

going this direction we'll have in the near future custom elements with
nothing enumerable, opposite to current Web IDL standard, and JS user
classes and subclasses with everything enumerable, opposite to JS native
classes ... can I call sheganigans here ? :-)