classes and enumerability

Brendan Eich brendan at mozilla.org
Wed Dec 24 16:09:17 PST 2014

Brendan Eich wrote:
> There's a confounding variable: the pain of ES6s meta-object APIs, in
> all respects.

I meant "ES5's" here, of course.

Agree with Jeremy, laziness is a programmer virtue and a part of human
nature. People are not bothering where they don't know better, or do
perhaps know enough but don't have time and cause to take the trouble.
The trouble is due to the non-default nature of non-enumerability.
Arguing from that past default to (still-future for a little while!) ES6
class's prototype methods being non-enumerable is circular, if you
ignore the foolish-consistency argument (which I think we should, but
I"m not dismissing here -- just noting that it isn't enough to avoid
circularity because of the ES5's-painful-to-use confounder).