classes and enumerability

Brendan Eich brendan at mozilla.org
Wed Dec 24 15:52:04 PST 2014

Rick Waldron wrote:

>     The question is: what should ES6 classes choose as the default? What's
>     the most useful default, independent of various backward-looking
>     consistencies? What, if the future is bigger than the past, would
>     be best?
>

> Put in these terms, I still think that maintaining status quo makes
> sense. The future _is_ bigger than the past and this can be addressed
> via annotations (maybe even in ES7?).

The question I'm raising is not answered by promising annotations, if
the right long-term answer is that the annotation-free default should be
non-enumerable. This is not something to defer based on hypothesized
annotations -- we have to agree (in the general, consensus sense) on the
right long-term default.