classes and enumerability

Boris Zbarsky bzbarsky at mit.edu
Tue Dec 23 22:27:52 PST 2014

On 12/23/14 8:49 PM, Brendan Eich wrote:
> On the DOM quirks point

Here's the thing.  Ignoring for the moment the classes situation, it
seems to me that for "DOM" stuff specifically we have three options:

1)  Have all "DOM" prototype stuff be enumerable.  This leaves us in a
Conway's Law situation where whether stuff is enumerable or not depends
on whether the spec is written by the W3C/WhatWG or TC39.  That's where
we've been for going on two decades now, but it still sucks.

2)  Have some "DOM" stuff (whatever is currently shipping?) enumerable
but new stuff not enumerable (basically introduce a
[LegacyEnumerableProperties] or whatnot in Web IDL and sprinkle it on
everything currently shipping).  This still means we have inconsistent
behavior, but now it's inconsistent in time as opposed to organizational
structure.  And it relies on UAs being able to make this change quickly
for new APIs they add.  Gecko can do that, but I can't speak for others.

3)  Try to make all "DOM" stuff non-enumerable, dealing with compat
issues by adding [LegacyEnumerableProperties] in the few cases where
they arise.  This risks landing us in the same place as #2 depending on
how many interfaces need the annotation, plus compat fallout as we
discover which interfaces need it.  But it would maybe get us to the
point where we don't have the Conway's Law problems, and it may well
turn out that very few interfaces need the [LegacyEnumerableProperties]
thing.

If I were doing green-field implementation of the DOM, of course, option
3 it would be, to match ES builtins....

Apart from all that, we've generally been aiming at converging Web IDL
behavior on the behavior of ES6 classes as much as we can, and continue
to do so.  So if classes end up with stuff non-enumerable by default
that would militate in favor of option 3 above.  Which is great except
for the possible compat fallout.  I'm game for trying it, though, if
other UAs are.

-Boris