Status/Thoughts on Guards?

Brendan Eich brendan at mozilla.org
Tue Aug 19 23:23:50 PDT 2014

Jonathan Barronville wrote:
> +1 for https://research.microsoft.com/pubs/224900/safets.pdf ... some
> really good research.

Yes, it's good.

> As Mark said, though, it's more likely we'll get a fight than anything
> productive from such a conversation, which is quite unfortunate :( .

Best thing already happening is TypeScript with its embrace-and-extend
approach to JS. I'm sure Anders et al. are tracking TS* and Safe
TypeScript, so I expect we'll see fruits of the MSR work in product soon
enough.

This then has a shot of making a cowpath for TC39 to pave. It's not as
long as a shot, done via TypeScript + JS evolution, as the alternative
you and Mark point to: a big _a priori_ type systems fight in TC39. Who
wants that?

Alternatives include pluggable annotation syntax, or an evolution of
Dart (Ecma TC52) + JS, but these look less likely to me to go into
Harmony-era JS at the moment. Dart diverged too much, and pluggable
syntax is a cop-out.