Referencing modules loaded by HTML Imports.

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Mon Aug 18 14:06:42 PDT 2014

On Mon, 18 Aug 2014, John Barton wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 18, 2014 at 10:43 AM, Ian Hickson <ian at hixie.ch> wrote:
> >
> > To avoid overly spamming the list I've coallesced my responses to
> > various threads over the weekend into this one e-mail.
>
> I really think this makes the discussion more difficult to follow and
> certainly more difficult to participate in.

Apologies, I'm not familiar with this lists' conventions.

> > > Separate document implies separate JS global: each needs its own
> > > Loader. So the rest of the questions aren't needed.
> >
> > HTML imports definitely need to expose modules across documents. Are
> > you saying this requires changes to ES6 to support? What changes would
> > we need?
>
> You need to give more details about such requirements. What is the
> runtime relationship between Imports and other documents? I assume the
> Import is providing some state that ends up in the importer but then you
> are saying these are different documents.

HTML imports and regular documents share a Window object, but have
separate Documents objects. You can find out more about them here:

   http://w3c.github.io/webcomponents/spec/imports/

They are "shortly" to be merged into the HTML spec proper; doing so is
mostly just blocked on my work trying to integrate HTML with ES6's module
loader so that we don't end up with multiple redundant dependency systems.