Thread about ES6 on reddit

Andrea Giammarchi andrea.giammarchi at gmail.com
Tue Aug 12 12:41:30 PDT 2014

And I completely agree with that and either fixing or non fixing ES3 known
problems you will still looking forward for that transpiler.

Bad news, it would be **very easy to fix ES3 in ES6** while it's kinda
hard/improbably to implement `Object.observe`, `generators` and `await` in
ES3 ... so this is the major point I am talking about: ES6 has broken with
its past already deciding to adopt incompatible Syntax and patterns
(generators/await "pauses" or `Proxy` and `Object.observe` feature)

ES6 requires tools in the middle by default because nobody wants to break
the web ... this tooling could have been the key to also solve, in modern
code, old gotchas, because modern code **must** be transpiled into old one
... if we can spit between old code, do not transpile it, and new one, must
be transpiled, there won't be any "old library must work" problem because
the old library code won't be touched, only the new code will ... and the
the new code, using the old library in it, will trust its new nature and
specs, and it will be transpiled to live happily ever after in ES3 and
hopefully soon only ES5 browsers too.

Having compatibility with jurassic code in ES6 because we are apparently
unable to transpile only new modules it's ... well, a pretty dumb
assumption. I actually wouldn't mind a convention where me, as developer,
put "use es6" as closure directive, and instruct the transpiler to parse
only that code, instead of everything, if merged into one file.

I mean, that's the way I'd go anyway ... traceur does not suppport it? It
can be added or fixed if necessary.

The only "not nice for browsers and engines" part I see is, potentially, a
dual mode syntax/parser/execution with probably a double engine, the one
already available compatible with ES3 and ES5, and the one eventually fully
spec compliant with new specifications.

Not talking about 6 engines, but two ... enough for a graceful migration,
not necessarily that bad to implement ... look at Dart and NaCLI, I mean
Chrome already ships with multiple engines ... right? before and after ES6
would be just another one.

Once again, I think it's late, but also I think this was a huge opportunity
for JavaScript.