Thread about ES6 on reddit

Andrea Giammarchi andrea.giammarchi at gmail.com
Tue Aug 12 02:01:07 PDT 2014

I see Python 3 as an excellent example plus Mozilla has JavaScript
versioning since quite ever plus we have WebComponents and the ability to
put <es6-script> in place or flags in nodejs ... you name it, we had way to
think about the "how to" but it was possible.

Accordingly, it's not that I am talking about Disneyland or I live in
wonderland (thanks in advance @horse_esdiscuss), I am just saying there was
a chance to fix the broken part and we didn't take it while other languages
did but we have also way more tooling **and** we are pushing for tooling
regardless because of syntax incompatibility.

Once writing scripts won't be that straightforward anymore and multiple
tools and layers **must** be used in the middle, we are in the same
position Dart, CoffeeScript, TypeScript, or AnyOtherScript transpiler are,
except these fixed annoying known inconsistencies and they have, indeed,
their own counter-part library translated for their dialects.

Last but not least, I'd like to underline that my disappointment does not
come from ES6 or even ES7 ideas and features, rather the fact ES6 could
have been much more than just sugar, it could have been a better JS in its
whole.

I also understand this rant, at this point, is quite pointless ... but
worth writing it down for the sake of laughing about it in the future, or
regretting we didn't do this way already.

Best Regards