Thread about ES6 on reddit

Brendan Eich brendan at mozilla.org
Mon Aug 11 13:40:38 PDT 2014

Andrea Giammarchi wrote:
> "Many times", and still does not make sense to me.
>
> CoffeeScript and TypeScript added new things and solved others while
> new ES6 syntax is simply broken not only in ES3 but in ES5 too and
> requires same technique (transpiler) others used to solve many other
> gotchas too.

Rehashing, I addressed this explicitly in words you bottom-cited.

In your proposed alternative, as in ES6, a compiler is needed to target
old browsers. No difference.

> Why "we" demand the web to transpile **but** "we" don't solve problems
> known since 1999 is still a mystery to me ... specially every time you
> end your replies writing `1JS` ... in my opinion a meaningless utopia
> the moment TC39 decided to break backward compatibility.

You can't "solve the problems known since 1999". You again ignored what
I wrote about "old code enduring, and intersection-compatible "any
version" code likely predominating".

Please read before you reply.