Thread about ES6 on reddit

Brendan Eich brendan at mozilla.org
Mon Aug 11 11:24:33 PDT 2014

Andrea Giammarchi wrote:
> but I also agree that once decided ES7 would have broken native syntax
> compatibility with older engines, it could have been a chance to also
> fix all the well known gotchas of the languages because transpilers
> could fix those too.

We've been over this many times. Making a versioned break means opt-in
versioning, which means now you have two big problems. You still have to
compile to ES3 for old browsers, but that's vacuously true in any case.
The problems of old code enduring, and intersection-compatible "any
version" code likely predominating, don't go away.

1JS won for many reasons but this is the high-order-bit reason.