Comprehensions, Where Art Thou?

Brendan Eich brendan at mozilla.org
Mon Aug 11 11:07:03 PDT 2014

Jason Orendorff wrote:
> If so, how? Didn't the committee also decide not to give Iterables or
> Iterators a common prototype, or define these methods as part of the
> Iterator or Iterable interface?

The plan is to leave the iteration protocol "duck-typed" or
"structural", but enable reuse of common array-extra-like methods via
Iterator.prototype (which will be on the generator iterator objects'
prototype chains).

The Iterator function can be used as an adaptor, to go from any old
iterator (duck-typed) to an instance of the nominal type.

This isn't an attempt to force nominal-only iteration (I checked, as you
would expect!). It's an "adaptor" pattern we see in lots of places in
JS, which gives a prototypal home for the "itertools" methods. Methods,
not functions, because JS has both but favors methods in most of its
libraries starting with the stdlib.