Early error on '0' followed by '8' or '9' in numeric literals does not seem to be web-compatible

Mark S. Miller erights at google.com
Thu Aug 7 09:16:18 PDT 2014

On Thu, Aug 7, 2014 at 8:52 AM, Alex Kocharin <alex at kocharin.ru> wrote:

> So strict mode is mandatory in classes and modules, and can't be turned
> off. Since it is mandatory, it is no longer "strict mode" like it is in
> perl. You can't opt out of it if you want to. Therefore all legacy
> constructs should be allowed there unless they are guaranteed to break the
> code in the future.
>
> Sooner or later people will migrate their legacy code into es6 modules. We
> would want to make this migration as easy as possible. And saying that
> "02468" is fine in es3, forbidden in es6, and allowed again in es8 with
> *exactly the same meaning* isn't helping.

I expect "with" and 02468 will continue to be allowed in es6 sloppy, es8
sloppy, and es1000 sloppy. The best way to think of sloppy code is "es3
compatibility mode". I don't see that there's any other sensible purpose
for it. Why would you want to say "with" or 02468 for any purpose other
than not breaking old legacy es3 code?

--
    Cheers,
    --MarkM