Early error on '0' followed by '8' or '9' in numeric literals does not seem to be web-compatible

Mathias Bynens mathias at qiwi.be
Tue Aug 5 08:14:02 PDT 2014

On 5 Aug 2014, at 17:05, Mark S. Miller <erights at google.com> wrote:

> Because of compatibility constraints, JS history can generally proceed only in an additive manner, which means a steady degradation of quality along the "simplicity" dimension. An opt-in mode switch is the only way to escape that dynamic. Strict mode is the only one we've got, and the only one we're likely to have in the foreseeable future. Strict mode should not accept octal literals. Regarding sloppy mode, it continues to exist only for the sake of legacy compat, so adding more crap to it for better web compat is the right tradeoff -- as long as the crap stays quarantined within sloppy mode.

My point was that the crap under discussion is already available in strict mode in existing implementations (except for the one in Firefox/SpiderMonkey). It’s just not demonstrated yet if The Web depends on this functionality in strict mode too. (It not working in Firefox is an indication that it may not, sure.)