Early error on '0' followed by '8' or '9' in numeric literals does not seem to be web-compatible

Jason Orendorff jason.orendorff at gmail.com
Mon Aug 4 09:55:36 PDT 2014

On Mon, Aug 4, 2014 at 11:43 AM, Mark S. Miller <erights at google.com> wrote:
> Isn't the early error required only for strict code?

Legacy octal integer literals are banned altogether in strict code. We
implement that and have had no trouble with it.

We're talking about something different here, legacy *decimal* integer
literals starting with 0 and containing 8 or 9. As far as I know, no
version of ES has ever permitted this kind of nonsense, but supporting
it is apparently required for Web compatibility. (One more great
reason to write all your code under "use strict".)

Boris and I would like B.1.1 to be changed to match the horrible reality.

-j