Early error on '0' followed by '8' or '9' in numeric literals does not seem to be web-compatible

Boris Zbarsky bzbarsky at MIT.EDU
Mon Aug 4 09:39:03 PDT 2014

When SpiderMonkey tried to implement an early error for cases like this:

   alert(08)

as the current spec draft requires, we got bug reports about web sites
being broken as a result.  Specifically, there were two issues we
discovered:

1)  Things like new Date(2013,08,12);

2)  Servers sending things like account numbers as numeric literals,
complete with leading zeros [yes, I know, this is so broken, they're
still doing it].

I believe we'll be backing out this change; it doesn't seen to be worth
the web compat hit.

-Boris