A new ES6 draft is available

Domenic Denicola domenic at domenicdenicola.com
Mon Sep 30 04:41:01 PDT 2013

From: es-discuss [mailto:es-discuss-bounces at mozilla.org] On Behalf Of

> I can't remember any discussion about Object(Symbol()). Why should it be
> disallowed?
>
> On the other hand, we agreed the other week on making 'new Symbol' and
> Symbol.prototype.toString throw. That should address all likely accidents.

I only remember Dave briefly mentioning it as one of the potential ways to get a wrapper object; I don't remember a decision to prohibit it.

On the other hand, this is somewhat attractive, as it prevents getting a symbol wrapper object except inside sloppy-mode methods/accessors added to `Symbol.prototype`, wherein `this` is a wrapper. Which means, unless I missed a case, that in strict mode it is impossible to create a symbol wrapper object.