Comments on Sept Meeting Notes

Anne van Kesteren annevk at annevk.nl
Fri Sep 27 13:18:47 PDT 2013

On Thu, Sep 26, 2013 at 10:01 PM, Kevin Smith <zenparsing at gmail.com> wrote:
> - If you are going to use a symbol registry, then you really need to prove
> how that is any better than just using the registry key itself.

During the meeting I tried to make the point that symbols would be
better for objects that have named getters, such as HTMLCollection:

<script>alert(document.getElementsByTagName("div")["@iterator"])</script>

Of course, web compatibility may or may not be impacted here and if
not we may be able to make named getters more complicated by not
looking at @-prefixed strings, but symbols have none of that. We could
of course also not make HTMLCollection iterable, but that seems like a
shame.

--
http://annevankesteren.nl/