Comments on Sept Meeting Notes

Brendan Eich brendan at mozilla.com
Thu Sep 26 19:12:25 PDT 2013

> Kevin Smith <mailto:zenparsing at gmail.com>
> September 26, 2013 7:01 PM
> Going to keep this short and sweet:
>
> - Enumerability?  Yawn...  Enumerability of user-created meta-level
> method names is fine and should be expected, just as we expect
> enumerability of "_"-prefixed method names today.

The Object.extend examples are compelling. If we want extension via
method-in-class syntax, we should care about enumerability. It will
break Object.extend uses.

> - Duck typing *must* work across Realms.  Symbols without a registry
> do not.  You can make special cases for built-in symbols, but special
> cases make bad law.

(You learned from me.)

I agree world-of-realms matters, in many ways. We can solve this more
generally, and should. I don't know the timing, but the idea that
cross-realm local issues stop global progress via symbols is a bad trade
in general. Must avoid getting stuck at local maximum.

> - If you are going to use a symbol registry, then you really need to
> prove how that is any better than just using the registry key itself.

GUID sucks, symbol that can't collide with any string rules. Nuff said!

> - Is getting a symbol with (1) a GUID and (2) a friendly name, then
> (3) toting that object around really more ergonomic than just using a
> string literal?
Maybe.

> - Perfect (collision avoidance) is the enemy of the good (collision
> avoidance).

This is the weakest link. Next!

> - Symbols are surprisingly tricky at the spec level.  (new Symbol()
> throws, what?)

Allen should weigh in.