Comments on Sept Meeting Notes

Allen Wirfs-Brock allen at wirfs-brock.com
Thu Sep 26 18:03:59 PDT 2013

On Sep 26, 2013, at 5:22 PM, David Herman wrote:

> Am I not explaining this well? I feel like I've been trying to make this point several times over in this thread.

probably in a earlier thread of this topic that I did't pay a lot of attention too.

> One of the biggest issues with GUID's -- the thing that makes everyone turn three shades of green every time it gets proposed -- is the ergonomics. One of the main complaints people made about symbols was that it's not possible to do userland coordination across realms. While I don't think we have to solve that for ES6, my examples demonstrate that with a registry symbols absolutely can provide cross-realm coordination while tangibly beating out string conventions for ergonomics/usability/readability.

No the ergonomic issues are good arguments against using GUID for the the actual property keys.  One of the attractions of the "@iterator" form is that it has pretty good ergonomics. If somebody wanted to use them but not not clutter the actual string with a name space qualifier (which may be a bit noisy, but is still a lot better than a GUID) they would have to use a Registry to access a friendly string property key.

Allen