Comments on Sept Meeting Notes

Allen Wirfs-Brock allen at wirfs-brock.com
Thu Sep 26 17:03:16 PDT 2013

On Sep 26, 2013, at 4:51 PM, David Herman wrote:

> On Sep 26, 2013, at 4:43 PM, Allen Wirfs-Brock <allen at wirfs-brock.com> wrote:
>
>> Right, this is the first instance registers pattern.  You still need to use something like a GUID or naming convention to avoid accidental registration collisions.
>
> Right, but the point is that you can abstract that away without it showing up with the gross GUID when you introspect on the object or view it in developer tools.
>
>> But guid strings (whether externally  or internally generated via a registry) could still be exported and used indirectly as property keys.
>
> I don't understand the relevance of this point. A GUID string is not === to a symbol that was registered with that GUID string.

I meant, if you didn't have symbols you could pretty much do the same thing by exporting a name that is bound to the GUID string as its value.  That exported name could be imported by clients and used as the friendly way to refer to that property name, just like you are suggesting they do with Symbol values.

allen