Comments on Sept Meeting Notes

Allen Wirfs-Brock allen at wirfs-brock.com
Thu Sep 26 16:43:36 PDT 2013

On Sep 26, 2013, at 4:30 PM, David Herman wrote:

> On Sep 26, 2013, at 4:26 PM, Rick Waldron <waldron.rick at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Thinking about this in terms of tooling, at even the terminal level, might look like this: http://gyazo.com/f61d0e25366ce7e526c79ab7fa77cb17.png
>
> No no, the GUID doesn't go in user land objects. It only goes in the registry. The user land objects only use the symbol. The GUID is just the entry into the registry, used internally by the serialize library.

Right, this is the first instance registers pattern.  You still need to use something like a GUID or naming convention to avoid accidental registration collisions.

> IOW, I'm saying that symbols are better than obfuscated strings because *even if you use obfuscated strings* for managing the installation of globally shared symbols, those obfuscated strings are internal to the library and not exposed to client code or client objects. The client objects just use the clean symbol.

But guid strings (whether externally  or internally generated via a registry) could still be exported and used indirectly as property keys.  This  might be an argument for having computed property names in object literal and classes even if we decided Symbol wasn't needed.

Allen