Comments on Sept Meeting Notes

Allen Wirfs-Brock allen at wirfs-brock.com
Thu Sep 26 16:09:16 PDT 2013

On Sep 26, 2013, at 3:59 PM, Yehuda Katz wrote:

> Sorry, that was too short.
>
> I don't understand what "using string literal specified, non-identifier property names" brings to the table to fundamentally alter the constraints that we've been working with that led to the consensus at the last f2f.

The newness was using using string literals+ concise methods to write such meta=level methods.

What it brings to the table is that it address the meta stratification issue in a reasonable manner without having to add anything (other than the use of the hooks) to the ES5 level language.  (and I'm ignoring the enumerability issues).

There is significant semantic complexity that Symbols add (I know, I just did all the work again).  The possibility of avoiding that added complexity is worth a little bit of exploration.

Allen