Comments on Sept Meeting Notes

Mark S. Miller erights at google.com
Thu Sep 26 16:07:34 PDT 2013

I think we swept the collision problem under the registry rug. Let's start
by discussing registry designs assuming we do have Symbols. Let's see if we
can design a registry that allows cross-realm duck typing without
re-introducing the same possibility of accidental collision that we'd have
without Symbols. Note: For this question, malicious collision is not an
issue.

On Thu, Sep 26, 2013 at 4:02 PM, Rick Waldron <waldron.rick at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 26, 2013 at 6:51 PM, Domenic Denicola <
> domenic at domenicdenicola.com> wrote:
>

>> > On Sep 26, 2013, at 18:49, "Yehuda Katz" <wycats at gmail.com> wrote:
>> >
>> > Private state doesn't satisfy these requirements because they trap on
>> the wrong side of the proxy.
>>
>> Agreed, in many cases I don't want private state; I *want* something that
>> can be copied by Object.mixin, for example. For private state, weak maps
>> are fine, and used today already.
>>

> Agreed with Yehuda and both of Domenic's points. I don't need/want Symbol
> for private anything—I want it for cases that don't deserve a WeakMap,
> should be reflected and can be "seen" by Object.getOwnPropertySymbols(),
> but want to avoid the possibility of collision.
>
> Rick

    Cheers,
    --MarkM