Comments on Sept Meeting Notes

Allen Wirfs-Brock allen at wirfs-brock.com
Thu Sep 26 15:57:33 PDT 2013

On Sep 26, 2013, at 3:50 PM, David Herman wrote:

> On Sep 26, 2013, at 3:48 PM, Domenic Denicola <domenic at domenicdenicola.com> wrote:
>
>> I don't understand why this is happening. There was fairly strong consensus on symbols at the last meeting, and nothing new has been brought to the table. Why are people's opinions suddenly changing? Vague fearmongering about "complexity"? Symbols are a good solution to a real problem, much better than strings.
>
> +so much
>
> I am very disappointed by this thread.

Actually, something new was brought to the table.  The convention of using string literal specified, non-identifier property names for stratified meta operations.

It's enough to at least spend a few minutes to consider whether that is good enough to do for the primary use case (in the ES spec,) for Symbols.

Allen