Comments on Sept Meeting Notes

Allen Wirfs-Brock allen at wirfs-brock.com
Thu Sep 26 14:43:50 PDT 2013

On Sep 26, 2013, at 1:59 PM, Brendan Eich wrote:

> @ is the new dunder -- dunder at -- dat.
>
> Among the no-symbol proposals, I like this best. (GUIDs, shudder.)
>
> /be

I shudder to say this, having just finished my third complete redo of Symbols in the ES6 draft, but I also like this proposal a lot.

I think I had a blind spot about string literals being accepted as methods names in object literals and classes.  But this would be a significant simplifications that retains almost all the benefits of  Symbols. And it's completely polyfillable.

A couple more thoughts:

Symbol-keyed property definitions were the primary motivator for "computed property names" in object literals and classes.  They could also go away for ES6 -- another simplification.

Perhaps rather than the function conventions for "@" properties , we should considerhaving them always be getter properties. But, I haven't yet sold myself on either one as being better.

A negative is that it was decided that concise methods definitions create enumerable properties and I don't think we really want these showing up in for-in enumerations. Maybe we would want to revisit that decisions or at least make an exception for concise methods (or accessors) defined using explicit string literal names.

Allen