Line Terminators (and others) normalization in template strings

Mike Samuel mikesamuel at gmail.com
Thu Sep 26 11:58:30 PDT 2013

2013/9/26 Allen Wirfs-Brock <allen at wirfs-brock.com>:
> Would any code in the world break if ES stopped treating LINE and PARA as lexical line terminators?  I know, nobody knows...

Great question.  A simple definition of line terminator would make
life harder for those of us who occasionally have to craft injection
attacks to try to justify our existence.

>  If no known code editors or OS platforms actually use LINE or PARA as normal line
> terminators then it seems reasonable that the author explicitly inserted those character
> (and they probably are showing up as line breaks in their editor) into a template string
> because she really wanted a LINE or PARA character to show up.

BabblePad is one, but I don't think it's widely used.

[+norbert]
Maybe the i18n people can answer whether any OS-supported input methods do it.