Line Terminators (and others) normalization in template strings

Anne van Kesteren annevk at annevk.nl
Thu Sep 26 11:42:50 PDT 2013

On Thu, Sep 26, 2013 at 2:31 PM, Brendan Eich <brendan at mozilla.com> wrote:
> This thread is to sort out the LINE and PARA seps. No one likes 'em. JSON
> missed them. They seem to me only useful for subtle
> line-numbering/source-hiding attacks. But ECMA-262 would be inconsistent to
> turn a blind eye toward them.
>
> Which consistency is greater, HTML or JS standard consistency?

Consistency with the platform, in particular for a construct useful
for generating code found elsewhere in the platform, seems more
important. In particular, I don't think the idea is for string
templates to hold JavaScript source code, but I've seen HTML and CSS
come by.

--
http://annevankesteren.nl/