Sept 17, 2013 TC39 Meeting Notes

Waldemar Horwat waldemar at google.com
Tue Sep 24 18:02:44 PDT 2013

On 09/24/2013 05:32 PM, Allen Wirfs-Brock wrote:

> On Sep 24, 2013, at 4:12 PM, Brendan Eich wrote:
>
>> Rick Waldron wrote:
>>> - Normalize CR, LF, and CRLF to LF
>>> [WH: Is this consensus recorded correctly? I understood the consensus to be normalizing all lexical grammar LineTerminatorSequences to LF.]
>>
>> TC39 members (including me) tend to forget, or turn a blind eye, toward LINE_SEPARATOR and PARA_SEPARATOR :-P.
>
> Does it make sense to also normalize other line separators to LF.  Are there any known platforms that use anything other than CR, LF, CRLF as their default line separator? I tend to think that anybody who explicitly puts one of those other separators literally into a template string has a reason for doing so and we should just leave it alone.

I'm mainly wary of complicating things by adding yet another exception to a rule.  Now we'd have two kinds of LineTerminatorSequences: ones that get normalized and ones that don't.  This would make for yet another piece of esoteric trivia for users to remember or get surprised by if they missed it.

     Waldemar