modulo

raul mihaila raul.mihaila at gmail.com
Sun Sep 22 03:29:58 PDT 2013

I saw that. I'm sure the spec is clear enough for implementers. Somebody
mentioned that book authors should explain the spec to the developers. But
the books aren't enough. For example, I didn't see something like this in
any JS book that I've read. Array.apply(null, { length: 5
}).map(Number.call, Number);
https://twitter.com/cowboy/status/288702647479984128
When an empty array or an 'empty array-like object' (but with a valid
length property that is greater than 0) is used in the apply method, you'd
think that no arguments are actually passed, because it's not intuitive to
think otherwise. Only when you read the spec you see that something like
this is possible. (I'm not saying that there's absolutely no book that
explains this, but I can't read them all). I don't know what can be done...
Regarding the modulo/floor section, I would prefer something like this
instead:

The mathematical function floor(*x*) produces the largest integer (closest
to positive infinity) that is not larger than x.
The notation "*x* modulo *y*" (y must be finite and nonzero) computes a
value k of the same sign as y (or zero) such that abs(*k*) < abs(*y*) and *x
*-*k* = *q* × y, where q = floor(x / y).
NOTE floor(*x*) = *x*-(*x* modulo 1).

Raul M