[[Invoke]] and implicit method calls

Allen Wirfs-Brock allen at wirfs-brock.com
Fri Sep 20 14:11:07 PDT 2013

On Sep 20, 2013, at 1:53 PM, Jason Orendorff wrote:

> (I see [[Invoke]] as a regression too. Till and Allen’s latest
> approach isn’t bad, but it still seems insufficiently motivated.)

The main reason I'm still supportive of [[Invoke]] (possibly with the option of passing a function instead of a property key) is because it allows (and that I think you pointed out) a proxy to implements some or all of its methods directly in its 'invoke" trap rather than as discrete functions.

If we didn't want to allow for that possibility I think we would only need a [[InvokeFunction]] MOP operation that doesn't ((in the ordinary implementation) include an internal [[Get]] step.

BTW, I would want to use  [[InvokeFunction]] for both directly obj.method() and in the internals of F.p.call/apply

Allen