[[Invoke]] and implicit method calls

Brendan Eich brendan at mozilla.com
Wed Sep 18 09:56:14 PDT 2013

> David Bruant <mailto:bruant.d at gmail.com>
> September 18, 2013 12:52 PM
>
> Why? (damned! how do I find myself defending invoke while I'm
> relatively against it...)
> Till Schneidereit's enthusiasm about it and the promised boost for
> Shumway suggests that the performance difference is significant to not
> be a non-starter.

Shumway means AS3 => JS and AS3 indeed had an invoke trap (from ES4
memories).

> Actual measurements with analysis of state of implementation could be
> relevant here.
> cc'ing Till in hope he's done such measurements.

Right, it's a bit rash to say performance counts for nothing. It is
usually secondary, though -- and rightly so. Optimizations come along
over time. Asymptotic complexity is a fair concern, and allocations cost
-- but if a JS JIT can prove they won't be observed then it can
eliminate them.

> A question is whether the same performance benefit could be achieved
> without invoke or more accurately, how much more effort is it?

On invoke, the Performance Jury is still out.