[[Invoke]] and implicit method calls

David Bruant bruant.d at gmail.com
Wed Sep 18 09:52:01 PDT 2013

Le 17/09/2013 15:36, Jason Orendorff a écrit :
> * improved performance for proxies, because method calls go through
> one proxy handler trap rather than two, and no temporary function
> object is allocated
> The performance argument is a non-starter
Why? (damned! how do I find myself defending invoke while I'm relatively
against it...)
Till Schneidereit's enthusiasm about it and the promised boost for
Shumway suggests that the performance difference is significant to not
be a non-starter.
Actual measurements with analysis of state of implementation could be
relevant here.
cc'ing Till in hope he's done such measurements.

A question is whether the same performance benefit could be achieved
without invoke or more accurately, how much more effort is it?

David