Continuing woes in reading the ES6 spec language

Till Schneidereit till at tillschneidereit.net
Fri Sep 13 02:27:06 PDT 2013

On Thu, Sep 12, 2013 at 11:14 PM, Allen Wirfs-Brock
<allen at wirfs-brock.com>wrote:

> On Sep 12, 2013, at 1:50 PM, Brendan Eich wrote:
>
> > I thought we agreed with Andreas Rossberg's proposal to isolate default
> expressions from hoisted body declarations, as if (kind of) desugaring
>
> Damned if I know...there is a big note in the draft that says: "This
> version reflects the consensus as of the Sept. 2012 TC39 meeting.  However,
> it now appears that the binding semantics of formal parameters  is likely
> to change again. "  So, this may not be the latest consensus and I'm not
> actually sure there is a current consensus.
>
> I know some of us weren't very happy with that de-sugaring.
>
> I'm pretty sure some decisions were left hanging.  I'll need to review
> notes, etc.

It looks like the last time tc39 discussed this was 2012-11-29[1]

The resolution back then was that Andreas should draft a proposal for the
next meeting. I can't find any mention of that being discussed in later
meetings, though, so this seems to have been left undecided indeed.

[1]:
https://github.com/rwaldron/tc39-notes/blob/master/es6/2012-11/nov-29.md#scoping-for-default-arguments-revisited
[2]:
https://github.com/rwaldron/tc39-notes/blob/master/es6/2012-11/nov-29.md#conclusionresolution-1