Implementing membranes using proxies, and [[GetInheritance]]

Boris Zbarsky bzbarsky at MIT.EDU
Tue Sep 10 21:10:59 PDT 2013

Hey all,

I was looking at implementing a membrane using ES6 proxies and ran into
a snag.  Consider a situation where object A has prototype B.  A' is a
proxy implementing the membrane, whose target is A.

But now if Object.getPrototypeOf(A') is invoked the return value will be
B (unless it just throws).  There's no way for A' to return a new proxy
B' whose target is B in this situation.

Is the intent here that the membrane should not be using A as its target
but some third object A''?  Or am I just missing something?

-Boris