Continuing woes in reading the ES6 spec language

Oliver Hunt oliver at apple.com
Tue Sep 10 17:38:56 PDT 2013

Okay, I'm having a really hard time navigating and following the current spec layout.  The many different places that behavior is specified for the same productions, and the absence of direct links between makes extraordinarily hard to read and understand.

In my current reading I was attempting to determine in what scope default initializers are evaluated, but from reading the spec (starting at #14.1) I could not find initialization of any environment record, and while there was reference to various places in which we determine the expected argument count, or whether there are initializers, i could not find anything that handle default initializers.  I'm sure it's there but it I have spent many hours following random names from place to place in the spec (again, this is hard as the same productions are described repeatedly for the many different semantic modes that they're in), and I still do not know what the expected results of evaluation are.

The current spec layout seems to be a substantial regression in terms of usability vs. the old spec.  Some of this would be helped if we were using html and links, but a lot of it seems controlled by the decision to remove the step-by-step evaluation ordering of the ES5 spec.

--Oliver