'void' as a value

Brendan Eich brendan at mozilla.com
Mon Sep 9 10:15:05 PDT 2013

Brendan Eich wrote:
> But from the start I had null for Java's object reference types,
> meaning "no object"; and undefined as the bottom of the semiattice,

"semilattice"

> meaning "no value". Java didn't have a way to express primitive |
> reference unions, rather had boxing (has this changed?).

The alternative would have been to make everything an object and null
the bottom. Would have been better but I was in a tearing hurry, and
using unboxed primitives was easier, and "made it look like Java" --
which has primitives with boxing wrappers. So I do blame myself, but I
also blame Java :-|.