Why do generator expressions return generators?

Brendan Eich brendan at mozilla.com
Fri Sep 6 08:39:20 PDT 2013

Brandon Benvie wrote:
> I don't think you're missing anything. They seem to be more accurately
> described as Iterator Expressions than Generator Expressions. It might
> be interesting if you could use yield inside them, which would then
> make sending a value in useful. But without that they don't expose any
> generator interface externally.

They could be called something else, for sure. The name works because
they're sugar for a generator function immeidately invoked:

(for (x of [1,2, 3])  x * x)

is

(function*() { for (let x of [1,2, 3])  yield x * x; })()

The name also may have Python roots that predate Python 2.5's more complete (send as well as next; throw; close) generator interface.

I think we should keep the name, because it's more precise. Iterator expression could be taken to mean other things a bit too easily.