Code points vs Unicode scalar values

Anne van Kesteren annevk at annevk.nl
Wed Sep 4 07:48:32 PDT 2013

ES6 introduces String.prototype.codePointAt() and
String.codePointFrom() as well as an iterator (not defined). It struck
me this is the only place in the platform where we'd expose code point
as a concept to developers.

Nowadays strings are either 16-bit code units (JavaScript, DOM, etc.)
or Unicode scalar values (anytime you hit the network and use utf-8).

I'm not sure I'm a big fan of having all three concepts around. We
could have String.prototype.unicodeAt() and String.unicodeFrom()
instead, and have them translate lone surrogates into U+FFFD. Lone
surrogates are a bug and I don't see a reason to expose them in more
places than just the 16-bit code units.

--
http://annevankesteren.nl/