ES6 draft, Rev20 is now available

Anne van Kesteren annevk at annevk.nl
Thu Oct 31 08:46:16 PDT 2013

On Wed, Oct 30, 2013 at 7:52 PM, Allen Wirfs-Brock
<allen at wirfs-brock.com> wrote:
> I don't understand what is special about the web APIs in this regard.  On the accepting side in ES we generally allow no breaking changes.  Wherever there was an existing API that accepted old-style "array likes" we now first test for @@iterator and then fall back to the legacy behavior.  If there are web APIs that currently accept "array-likes" and you don't do this then you are really to accept a lower bar for backward compatibility than what TC39 has been willing to accept.

That is not the problem.

The problem is that when designing ES it seems like you are not
considering the web ecosystem that exists around ES and how that might
need to adapt to changes in the underlying language. Or in other
words, the language does not exist in a vacuum, yet it feels like you
are designing it in that way.

This may very well be a perception and communication problem and I
think we are making progress towards addressing it, but please keep
that in mind.

--
http://annevankesteren.nl/