Protocol library as alternative to refinements

Russell Leggett russell.leggett at gmail.com
Mon Oct 21 09:12:18 PDT 2013

This thread is based on conversations in the "Scoped binding of a method to
an object" discussion. I suggested using the proposed bind operator "::" as
an alternative, and hinted at way of doing so polymorphically. Given that
the other discussion on refinements just popped up, I figured I might as
well toss of the gist I had been working on.

https://gist.github.com/genericallyloud/7086380

I wouldn't necessarily call this a proposal, although I think something
like it *could* be a great addition to the language. Given that it could be
polyfilled, I'm guessing that it may do better as a library first to get
the kinks out, but who knows - if there is enough positive response, maybe
something will come of it - at least some hooks to make single dispatch on
type more efficient, perhaps? Anyway, enjoy!

- Russ