Should String.prototype.split accept variable arguments optionally?

Andrea Giammarchi andrea.giammarchi at gmail.com
Wed Oct 16 13:46:06 PDT 2013

also, to reply your question "Are you against changes like `.contains` or
`.startsWith` too?"

Absolutely not, and these are new methods indeed. Perfectly in line with
what you wrote:

> Why have `str.contains` if you can just do `~str.indexOf`. Why have
`.startsWith`, or `.indexOf` on arrays?

You are asking to change a method that is like that since ever. Using your
examples is like asking to return false on `indexOf` because new comers
don't understand that -1 is truthy value, you know what I mean?

String#split does what it does and it should keep doing that, even if I've
never used an Array or multiple arguments on it (also never felt the need
to)

Hope I've answered your questions.

As Summary: Every jQuery programmer could write a function that accept an
array and does the split with that, no need to ask to change core legacy
(my only point in here, really).

Feel free to propose a new method ;-)