Readdition of __proto__

Domenic Denicola domenic at domenicdenicola.com
Mon Oct 14 13:53:08 PDT 2013

From: es-discuss [es-discuss-bounces at mozilla.org] on behalf of Brendan Eich [brendan at mozilla.com]

> Our duty as a standards body includes specifying de-facto standards which browsers must implement to interop. __proto__ is one such.

It's worth highlighting this aspect of the situation. This duty of standards bodies has, at least from what I can see from my limited vantage point, only recently become apparent. But it's a crucial part of being a standards body today.

Relevant reading, from the dawn of time when this was becoming apparent in the HTML/web applications space (2004): http://ln.hixie.ch/?count=1&start=1085764602

(I look forward to people with more experience than me coming by to tell me about how this is not as new-fangled a paradigm as I think it is :)