Readdition of __proto__

Brendan Eich brendan at mozilla.com
Mon Oct 14 13:47:10 PDT 2013

> Benjamin (Inglor) Gruenbaum <mailto:inglor at gmail.com>
> October 14, 2013 1:33 PM
> __Thanks__ ! This is really above and beyond what I could have asked for.

Beware that what Andreas wrote about __proto__ in ES6 was not accurate.

> I really wish there was an easy way to search the list like tags. I've
> been reading for a while but when I want to bring up, learn more about
> or discuss things - not being able to search really sucks. It makes me
> want to avoid things because I know how frustrating repetition can be.

There is also http://esdiscuss.org/ -- give it a try. Follow @esdiscuss
(Domenic runs it) on twitter too!

> My opinion is probably a bit radical (not sure how many people here
> agree with it), feel free to skip it as it's probably more of a rant :P
>
> No, honestly - don't read it. It's repeating things that have probably
> been said here before but I couldn't find (well, other than Branden

"Brendan"

> here
> https://mail.mozilla.org/pipermail/es-discuss/2010-April/010917.html ).
>
> >  * it's widely available across all mobile and modern desktop browsers
>
> So is `with` but that still doesn't work in strict mode.

Yes, but (or perhaps "and in part, therefore") too few user strict mode.

You are talking about apples to oranges. Excluding 'with' from ES5
strict leaves 'with' in the default-mode language. ES6 is not a new
"mode" (1JS). We cannot make __proto__ go away by turning a blind eye
toward it.

Our duty as a standards body includes specifying de-facto standards
which browsers must implement to interop. __proto__ is one such.