Generic Bundling

Anne van Kesteren annevk at annevk.nl
Mon Oct 14 06:16:21 PDT 2013

On Sun, Oct 13, 2013 at 8:30 PM, Brendan Eich <brendan at mozilla.com> wrote:
> Anne van Kesteren <mailto:annevk at annevk.nl>
>> It would require each end point that wants to support this to have new
>> syntax. A solution from http://wiki.whatwg.org/wiki/Zip#URLs will not
>> require updating all the end points.
>
> That doc is a bit cryptic.
>
> Can you explain how new URL syntax to address a ZIP member (I like, we had
> it in the ancient days with JAR files [ZIPs of course] using '!') avoids
> updating both end points? The content on the server starts using
>
> <script src="assets.zip!lib/main.js"></script>
>
> How do old browsers cope?

The idea is to use a somewhat more unique separator, e.g. "$sub/". Old
browsers would simply fetch the URL from the server and if the server
is written with legacy in mind would serve up the file from there. New
browsers would realize it's a separator and fetch the URL up to the
separator and then do addressing within the zip archive once its
retrieved.

https://gist.github.com/wycats/220039304b053b3eedd0 has a more
complete summary of our current thinking. (Not entirely up to date.)

--
http://annevankesteren.nl/