Scoped binding of a method to an object

Till Schneidereit till at tillschneidereit.net
Sun Oct 13 14:39:16 PDT 2013

On Sun, Oct 13, 2013 at 8:40 PM, Brendan Eich <brendan at mozilla.com> wrote:
>> Till Schneidereit <mailto:till at tillschneidereit.net>
>> October 13, 2013 11:28 AM
>>
>> And now it causes problem for TC39, browser vendors, sites that use it and
>> end users. (The last group should be affected the least because the first
>> three groups work together to prevent it, of course.)
>

> I think we agree. My point was that the objections are not definitive, not
> axiomatic enough. The costs are born "later" and "by others". This is a
> recipe for social ills.

Ok, we do agree, then.

> What we do about it is up to us, but just asserting that developers should
> stop extending primordials sounds like King Canute to me.

Also agreed.

It's still not entirely obvious to me what exactly we should do about
it, sadly. And not only now, but going forward. Cow path paving
requires the cows' ability to trod on the same ground that might be
paved later. That very fact means that the cow paths might end up
colliding with paved streets. I don't see how this basic conundrum can
be resolved without a scope based resolution-mechanism (no pun
intended).