Generic Bundling

Brendan Eich brendan at mozilla.com
Sun Oct 13 12:34:11 PDT 2013

Jorge Chamorro wrote:

>> >  No, you're right -- agree with you and Andrea, this is sweet.
>
> Are main.js and assets.zip two separate files, or is main.js expected to come from into assets.zip?

The latter.

>   I think the latter would be best because it would guarantee that the assets are there by the time main.js runs, as if they were local files, ready to be require()d synchronously.

How would old browsers cope, though? They would load only lib/main.js
(and possibly make a request storm, as Russell brought out elsewhere in
this thread), so (synchronous) require of another member of assets.zip
might or might not work.

A prefetching <link> element might not suffice in old browsers, I'm
pretty sure it won't.

If the only way to cope with downrev browsers is to use Traceur, so be
it. We just need to be sure we're not missing some clever alternative.