Generic Bundling

Brendan Eich brendan at mozilla.com
Sun Oct 13 12:30:54 PDT 2013

> Anne van Kesteren <mailto:annevk at annevk.nl>
> October 11, 2013 12:34 AM
> On Fri, Oct 11, 2013 at 3:53 AM, Brendan Eich<brendan at mozilla.com>  wrote:
>>> On Thu, Oct 10, 2013 at 8:10 PM, Andrea Giammarchi
>>> <andrea.giammarchi at gmail.com<mailto:andrea.giammarchi at gmail.com>>  wrote:
>>>
>>>      You are confining the problem in HTTP only scenarios while the
>>>      solution provided by
>>>
>>>      <script src="lib/main.js" ref=”assets.zip”></script>
>> No, you're right -- agree with you and Andrea, this is sweet.
>
> It would require each end point that wants to support this to have new
> syntax. A solution from http://wiki.whatwg.org/wiki/Zip#URLs will not
> require updating all the end points.

That doc is a bit cryptic.

Can you explain how new URL syntax to address a ZIP member (I like, we
had it in the ancient days with JAR files [ZIPs of course] using '!')
avoids updating both end points? The content on the server starts using

<script src="assets.zip!lib/main.js"></script>

How do old browsers cope?

>> HTML nerd nit: is "ref" the right name? I thought it was used as an
>> attribute name somewhere in HTML or nearby, but I can't find it. Cc'ing
>> Anne.
>
> You might be thinking of "rev" (which is obsolete now in favor of
> using "rel" everywhere).

That's it, thanks!