Generic Bundling

Andrea Giammarchi andrea.giammarchi at gmail.com
Fri Oct 11 10:01:02 PDT 2013

As I've said, you keep confining the problem and the solution over HTTP and
servers while I see this approach, maybe slightly revisited, a good
**generic bundling** solution even without a server and easily adoptable
now plus this will not mean HTTP 2 won't be handy to help with this case
too.

The proposal could be revisited to tell browsers to look for
package.zip/index.html automagically once opened so we'll have a bundle
that can work over HTTP and over Bluetooth exchange too.

So, my counter question would be: do we have a standard generic bundle
option that works same way every other programming language has ? (war
files, python distributable with self extracting archive and execution,
.NET apps, etc etc etc)

If such thing exists plus HTTP2 will solve all other problems then I agree
it's not a good idea to implement this now.

If such thing does not exist I would like to keep thinking the combination
JS + HTML + CSS can offer a lot even without a webserver behind or any
protocol ... there is a database that does not need a connection and all
tools needed to offer great applications.

You guys know this better than me with FirefoxOS.

My 2 cents